Tuesday 18 March 2014

Lindsey Vonn is used to living on the edge.

The Olympic skier has met with a series of devastating injuries over the course of her career. Her most recent injury kept her from competing in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

"The reality has sunk in that my knee is just too unstable to compete at this level," she said in a statement in January.

Still, the 29-year-old pro athlete embraces whatever comes her way -- good and bad -- and makes way for what her future may hold.

"What's the point in being afraid?" she said in the February issue of SELF magazine. "I've crashed a million times. If you go around being afraid, you're never going to enjoy life."

Vonn has had to discover the recipe to happiness time and time again through injuries in her sport to the pain she's felt in her personal life.

"Getting divorced (last January, from her former coach, Thomas Vonn) was the scariest thing I've ever done," she told the mag. "I'd been dating him since I was 18, and I realized I wasn't happy anymore."

Despite her setback in love, Vonn was able to discover a strength in herself she didn't know she had.

"I wasn't sure if I was strong enough to be on my own, but I found out I am," she continued. "Now I'm in charge of my whole life. It's terrifying - and exciting. It gave me a lot more self-confidence and a greater sense of self-worth."

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!